Tuesday, March 2, 2021

1948 Baseball Source

These are ten cards from the 1948 set Engel calls "Baseball Source"  (JCM 103).  I think they are called that based on the text on top of the back, which means the same.  

Its a pretty colorful set with some simple artwork as you can see.  My cards aren't in the best of shape but its a pretty rare set (R3) so they are the best I've been able to find!

 The baseball source on the back is the floating head in the upper right hand corner who asks a trivia question, the answer to which is the player on the front of the card.  So for Toshio Kawanishi's card for example it asks who the Hawks fastest runner was on the back.

These cards were part of a small pile of menko I recently picked up and on sorting them out I discovered that Engel's checklist of the set is incomplete.  Three of my cards aren't on it: Hisanori Karita, Michio Nishizawa and Shigeru Chiba (all three of them Hall of Famers).  So you can add these to the 15 listed in the guide.

The key card to the set is Victor Starffin which, unfortunately, I don't have.  But with the addition of these three to the known checklist that means there are 18 cards in this set (possibly more), and with ten so far I'm more than halfway to completing it.  

6 comments:

  1. Awesome! Love the crude artwork and so cool you were able to add to the checklist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The artwork is cool, they use a similar technique for drawing faces that you see on old woodblock prints, which I like.

      Delete
  2. I kind of like the one with the trimmed corners, even though it hurts the value. Nice job expanding the checklist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is Michio Nishizawa and I kind of like it too.

      Delete
  3. So, in a situation like this, do you contact the person/people who put out that guide and tell them about your being able to expand their checklist, or do you just float it out there on the blog and call it good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't contacted him directly but I heard from Prestige Collectibles that he has seen this post and two of the three cards I found are ones he wasn't aware of.

      I've been meaning to gather all this info together on the new cards I've found into a single file to send to him so I wouldn't be badgering him with emails, but I've been too busy and keep procrastinating on doing that!

      Delete