Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Blogger, Twitter and the Enshitification of Internet Platforms


Until a few months ago I was both an active blogger and an active Twitter user.  The two activities seemed complimentary - Twitter was good for making short comments about Japanese baseball cards and connecting with other people making short comments about the same.  Blogger in contrast was good for writing longer pieces that couldn't be summarized in under 280 characters.  There was a lot of overlap between the two, most people who blog about baseball cards also Tweet about them (though the reverse is not necessarily true, so being on Twitter allowed me to get in touch with a wider range of people it seemed).  

Like everyone else on Twitter I watched last year as the Elon Musk parade took over that platform.  I didn't really care at all about the culture war politics or whatever that was animating a lot of people in relation to that. The political views of whoever is running the platform is not my concern, I just want to use it to talk about baseball cards.

Despite having found it so useful, in December I decided to delete my Twitter account and completely walk away.

The straw that broke the camel's back for me was Musk's plans to basically switch Twitter's business model towards a form of "pay to play" system.  The future vision he has for Twitter is clearly one in which people who pay 8$ a month have a "good" Twitter experience with their posts reaching an audience and people interacting with them and following them, while those who don't will find their content buried by the algorithms and don't get much interaction from it. 

I wasn't going to pay 8$ a month and I didn't see much point in sticking around as a second tier user, so I walked away.

I'm sure many Twitter users out there who still use it without paying 8$ a month will tell me that not much has changed for them.  But it will change simply because it has to for Musk's business plan to make any sense.  If the free version continues to work fine, they won't get enough people signing up for the paid version.  In order to incentivize people to do so, they pretty much have to make the free one suck.  If they did it all at once then everyone would simply walk away from Twitter completely, so they haven't throttled the user experience in a drastic form yet.  But slowly, over time, people using free Twitter can expect it to start sucking a little bit more over time, almost as if it was designed  to not suck enough that they would walk away completely, but just enough to make them think about paying 8$ a month to try to halt the slide to suckiness.  

Cory Doctorow wrote an interesting article about how platforms evolve like this, in a process he calls "enshitification".  He describes it like this:

Here is how platforms die: first, they are good to their users; then they abuse their users to make things better for their business customers; finally, they abuse those business customers to claw back all the value for themselves. Then, they die.

This tracks pretty closely with my experience with a lot of social media platforms.  Facebook was great when I signed up in the 00s.  Now it sucks.  Twitter I've already explained.  Other examples abound.

But one social media platform hasn't really done that, and that is Blogger.

The Blogger that I use today is pretty much exactly the same as the Blogger I used in 2008 when I started my first blog.  In 15 years the only changes I've noticed are cosmetic, they made one significant update to the way blogs look a few years back, but all the features and functions have remained basically the same.  Whereas my Facebook feed has been taken over by ads and promoted content that I hate, my blogger experience is completely ad free and the only blogs I see are ones that I deliberately added to my blog roll.  Blogger has never required me to host ads.  Blogger has never forced me to pay for anything.  I really like Blogger a lot, its the only social media platform that I signed up for in the 00s that hasn't turned on me and become a useless mess.

Still though, I worry.  I don't understand how Google makes money off of me as a Blogger user.  Blogger doesn't allow Google to use algorithms to manipulate me the way Facebook, Twitter or Youtube do.  This is great, but at the same time Google is not a charity and I worry that at some point the same thing that has enshitified the rest of the internet is going to infect this platform too, simply because they want to monetize it more.  Google is after all no different from other platforms and a lot of its other, bigger things like its search engine have gotten progressively more useless and awful over the years as they turned them into advertising delivery devices to make money.  In fact, I suspect the latter is one way in which enshitification is indirectly creeping into Blogger.  My old blog (Famicomblog) used to get a ton of traffic in the late 00s/early 10s from Google searches because it ranked high in some search term results.  That doesn't happen anymore, searches for those terms now lead you inevitably to businesses selling stuff rather than people writing about stuff.  

Likewise this blog which started later, in 2013, has never gotten any significant traffic from search results, despite being dedicated to an extremely niche topic that only a handful of other places on the internet have information about.  Searches for the stuff that I write about inevitably lead you to Amazon or Ebay sellers, rather than to actual articles written by people about those things.  I note that a common lament among baseball card bloggers is that the traffic they used to get 10-15 years ago has dried up.  They often chalk it up to people losing interest in blogs, but I think that a more likely explanation is that changes to how Google and other search engines direct traffic have de-prioritized blogs because they aren't money makers. Just a theory, but it makes sense.

Anyway, despite that I'm still quite happy with blogger because, whatever the search engines do, this platform itself is still the same one I've always used.  I hope it stays that way.  Unlike Twitter, Blogger isn't something I can easily walk away from.  Tweets are almost designed to be thrown away.  My blog in contrast is a repository of hundreds of articles I've invested a non insignificant amount of time in creating.  Its not something easily discardable. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm so out of it in regards to social media news that I had no idea about Elon's "pay to play" system. I would never pay that guy even a quarter to get more Twitter views... so I'll be in the "free" category for the long haul. Doesn't really impact me much though since I only use Twitter to plug my blog posts and occasionally reach out to fellow bloggers. Two weeks ago... someone actually hacked my Twitter and I came pretty close to closing it. If it happens again... I probably will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, someone hacked your account? that must have sucked, sorry to hear that.

      I mainly started my Twitter account to just plug blog posts, but over time I started to use it in its own right to talk about baseball card stuff. Felt pretty bad to walk away from what had been a pretty good platform for doing that.

      Delete
  2. I'm still on Twitter but I've been exploring other options. I was on Mastodon for a while but I didn't really like the decentralized way they do stuff - I follow a lot of diverse stuff on Twitter (baseball, music, politics, comedy and movies) and it wasn't clear to me that I'd have the same experience on Mastodon. I like Spoutible and think it has promise but they really need to get an app done.

    I think Twitter's just going to end up slowly degenerating into a right wing echo chamber - assuming it doesn't just crash with no development team left that understands the code.

    Despite Musk's shenanigans - and I have some ideas why he's done what he's done although they're borderline conspiracy theories - I'm still managing to see the kind of interactions I've always enjoyed with Twitter. For example, just the other day I saw Kevin Kruse, a historian I follow, and Harry Turtledove, a science fiction writer I like, having a conversation.

    As for blogger, I kind of agree with you about the experience remaining the same except that I think the editor for creating posts has gotten MUCH worse in the 15+ years I've been writing my blog. The biggest thing is that I used to be able to cache images while I was doing a post - I could load multiple images into the "Add Images" window but only use a subset of them at a time. The images I loaded would still be in the "Add Images" window the next time I brought it up. Now I always have to upload only the images I'm immediately using so it makes the process of doing an image-heavy post (which a lot of mine are) very tedious. I also absolutely hate that every time I start a new post it creates a post that has one space in it rather than an empty one. It didn't use to do that.

    It'd also be nice if blogger could allow me to set some defaults like image size. Every image gets loaded at "medium" size and I have to manually change it to "large". Be really handy if they just loaded as "large" size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About Twitter, yeah it does seem like that "right wing echo chamber", or some variant of it, is where it is heading. It might have been a bit easier for me to leave than you since I was basically only using it for baseball card discussions, and I only had a relatively small number of followers. I occasionally peruse it now without an account (one useful change Musk introduced was the ability to do that) because sometimes people still post useful stuff on there, but that is it. I felt bad to pull the plug because there were some people I was mainly connected with on there, but for now the blog is enough for me.

      About blogger, I'm totally in agreement about that thing with being able to set a default image size, I also hate having to manually change everything to extra large (with each image, one by one....) Its also kind of buggy when I cut and paste photos in a post I'm making and put them in a new location, it always ends up left aligned and messes up the text.

      These seem like kind of minor technical things in comparison to the way other platforms have evolved over the same time period.

      Delete