Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Isao Harimoto Menko

 


Its been ages since I've been able to pick up some nice vintage menkos due to the price explosion taking  most of them out of my range recently.  I did however manage to make one score the other day, a lot containing three Isao Harimoto cards.  I've written about Harimoto before, he is one of my all time favorite Japanese players so I'm always on the lookout for cards of his.  

This lot had three of his cards, including his rookie card from the 1959 JCM 30b set (on the left in the above picture).  The other two are from the 1960 JCM 86 and 1961 JCM 12d sets.  I didn't have a rookie card of his in my collection yet so I was quite happy to add that one!

You might have noticed that this is my first post in several months.  The blog is still alive and I'm still fine, during the baseball off season I sometimes drift off into other hobbies and put the baseball card collection on hold.  At the moment I'm building a model railway with my son which is taking up all my free time.  Once the spring arrives though I'll probably start posting on here more again.

Also, I quit Twitter about a month ago.  Just too much weird stuff for my taste and I sort of decided "You know, I think just keeping the blog is enough for me."

6 comments:

  1. Welcome back!

    Nice pickups! I'm a fan of Harimoto too - although it sounds like he's become a grumpy old man in his baseball commentary. I've got a couple menkos and bromides of him but no rookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! His menko cards, and particularly his rookies, are among those that have been caught up in the price explosion over the past couple of years. Before 2020 I remember dropping out of the bidding on some that sold quite cheaply (like 2,000 Yen range in nice shape) thinking a better deal would come along. Now they go for several times that and rarely show up on YJA. I lucked into this lot which went pretty cheap and seemed to fly under the radar, though they are in pretty low grade condition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any chance that we get to see the model?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for asking :) I put a little video of it on Youtube a few days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-povOXVtJ4

      Delete
    2. Was that a kit of some kind, or do you buy all of the components separately? Either way, it's pretty impressive, and I'd have to think that the kids would like it quite a bit.

      Delete
    3. Thanks! Its all stuff that I bought and assembled seperately. I started building this about a decade ago and am still not done building it!

      Delete