Sunday, June 5, 2022

Baseball Cards at a Dragons Game

 

I took my kids to a game at the Nagoya Dome yesterday.  It was an interleague game - Dragons vs. Hawks.  

My son has really gotten into baseball this year so there was a lot of excitement building up to the big day.  He made the above sign, which says "Dragons" and features the Calbee cards of some of this year's players (basically all the ones that appear in Series 1 that he has gotten so far - he's been getting lots of doubles of Yohei Oshima for some reason).  So it was pretty cool to get out there and hold that up for the first time.

The Dome was a sell out crowd (Sunday plus interleague play = everyone wants to go).  We had seats on the first base side, near the outfield.  

The Hawks scored once in the top of the 1st inning, so I was a bit concerned the game would end in disappointment.  But the Dragons came back to score three in the bottom half, including an RBI double by Dayan Viciedo who is my son's favorite player so we got to do a lot of excited cheering from that point on.

They went on to win 7-3, which was a great outcome.  The Dragons season had been collapsing prior to the start of interleague play - they dropped 9 out of 10 going into it, but the've picked up the pace now and took 2 out of 3 from both the Eagles and the Hawks and have crawled their way back to near .500.  

It was a pretty awesome day - I got to smother my kids in Dragons merch and except for my daughter falling asleep on my lap in the fifth (very difficult balancing act when you are squeezed into those tiny seats) everything went well and the kids were quite happy when we went to the train station for the ride home afterwards.  


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like that interest level of his might be here to stay for a bit. I would imagine that a lot of other dads out there would be envious of you for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope he stays into it, though as with all kids I expect his interests to wander and evolve over time into stuff I probably don't have a clue about!

      Delete