Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Japan's Greatest Pitcher's only Calbee Card isn't even his own Card

 

I picked up this card on Yahoo Auctions this week.  Its Shigeo Nagashima's manager card from one of the 1977 Calbee sets.

Nagashima appears on a ton of 1970s Calbee cards as a manager.  The other guy, who is not mentioned anywhere in the text of the card front or back, is what makes this card way more interesting.  

That is Masaichi Kaneda, arguably Japan's all time greatest pitcher who racked up 400 career wins.

Kaneda retired as a pitcher after the 1969 season, which was four years before Calbee started making baseball cards and thus he doesn't have any Calbee cards from his playing days.  He started managing the Orions in 1973, the same year as Calbee's debut, but owing to the legendary Calbee/Lotte feud Calbee didn't produce any cards of Orions players until 1985.

Thus Calbee never produced a card featuring Japan's all time wins leader.  Except this one.  Its only a cameo appearance, but its a prominent enough one to I think describe this as a Nagashima/Kaneda card rather than just a Nagashima card.  

Dave picked up a copy of this card a couple of years ago on his trip to Japan and it intrigued me, so I am glad to add it to the collection.  In addition to Kaneda, this is one of the very few cards to feature anything related to the Lotte Orions in a Calbee set from the 70s so its interesting on that account to.

This 1977 set is kind of the "main" one from that year, featuring 216 cards.  With this one I have about 60 of them, so I'm mulling over whether to add this to my list of sets to start actively trying to complete.  Its a nice one.  

6 comments:

  1. I'm working on my latest Calbee history post for the years from 1977 to 1980 and this card is in it. Besides Kaneda, it's the first card of the "Open-War Series" (which is why there's a "No. 1" below the "145" - Calbee had a parallel numbering scheme for a LOT of cards in 1976 and 1977) and it's the first card that has the "weed" border instead of the border of alternating black and white stars. I would point out that the star bordered backs look just like the ones from the 1975/76/77 set but I see that you already new that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hadn't even noticed that parallel numbering thing in the 75-76-77 set until I read your post.

      And those star borders on the backs of the first half of the 1977 set really messed up my 1975-76-77 set when I first started collecting it since I didn't know the difference and ended up crossing a bunch of cards off my checklist which were actually 1977s.

      Delete
  2. That is a great looking card…well cropped!

    ReplyDelete