Sunday, June 12, 2022

1929 Shonen Club Babe Ruth with the rest of the Set



An interesting item sold on Yahoo Auctions yesterday (not to me unfortunately!).  

It was a 1929 Shonen Club Babe Ruth. which I have written about on here before.  I was fortunate enough to pick up a copy of this card a few years ago before the recent price explosion.  I don't think I could afford to buy one now.  


What interested me in this particular auction was that it wasn't just for the Ruth, but rather for the complete set of postcards it was originally sold with, complete with the box and everything.

I had long been curious about that.  While I've seen several Shonen Club Ruth listings on Yahoo Auctions over the years, I had never seen what the complete set of cards it came with looked like until now.  


As you can see from these highlights, it was a pretty eclectic set in terms of subject matter.  There are 40 cards total and the Ruth is the only sports figure.  The rest are a mix of historical events, famous places, animals, historical figures and that sort of thing.  

This ended up selling for about ten times what my own Ruth set me back:

The cards other than Ruth aren't really worth anything more than what an old postcard is worth, but taken as a set with the box they probably add some value to it (and certainly make it more interesting).  Also that Ruth looks like it is in "fresh from the box" condition so its not surprising it sold for so much. 

4 comments:

  1. Wowza. A 1928 Babe Ruth? If that's 151,600 yen, then that converts to $1,125... which seems like a steal for a card from his playing days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In comparison to prices for his other stuff I guess it is a steal. But as recently as two years ago you could buy one of these for under $200 in decent shape!

      Delete
  2. That is a weird set. Subject matter wise, the Babe feels quite out of place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly covers a wide range of "stuff", that is for sure.

      Delete