Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Worst Snack-Card Combo Ever

 

I was at my local AEON supermarket yesterday looking in vain for bags of Series 2 Calbee baseball chips (they had them for a few days, but sold out quick) when I noticed another baseball related thing in the snack section.  They had a big display of packs of the above "Pro Baseball Deforme Card Collection 2024", produced by Bandai-Namco.  I hadn't heard of them before nor was I expecting them, but the artwork on the bags caught my eye.

These were bags of snacks though I couldn't tell what kind just by looking at the bag or feeling it.  I would later notice on getting it home that the tiny little orange box of text on the front which you have to squint to make out is where it identifies what kind of snack it contains (more on this below).  I was only interested in the card anyway, which was attached to the back, similar to how Calbee cards are attached to bags of chips.

They were more expensive than Calbee chips (168 Yen versus 108 Yen) and only had one card rather than Calbee's two, but I decided to give them a try and threw one in my shopping basket. 

From Bandai Namco's home page for the set I gather these were just released a couple of days ago, so I give them credit with getting them on the shelves of my local store on schedule (this is me throwing shade on Calbee BTW).  The set has 36 cards.  I don't know why they are called "Deforme" cards, I have no idea what that word means.

Anyway, I got home and opened mine up to see who I got.  Baystars Taiki Sekine:

This is what the backs look like.

I'm not a huge fan of caricature cards, but these seem pretty decent.  From the pictures on the website the set as a whole looks quite colorful which I like.   

I was thinking I might buy some of these for my kids, but I noticed for some absolutely bizarre reason that the packs are recommended for consumers "15 years and over".  WTF?  These are cartoon baseball cards, but kids aren't supposed to buy them?

This restriction made a bit more sense to me when I opened up the snack and discovered, to my horror, that it contained this:

Kaki no tane!

If you've never been to Japan you may be unfamiliar with these.  They are a crunchy snack made of rice that come with a bitter flavor that makes them almost inedible to me.  Its kind of difficult to describe in words, but they just make your mouth feel awful, similar to what you feel when you stuff pure wasabi into it (albeit a bit milder).  You often see them in little dishes mixed up with peanuts at bars for patrons to nibble at while drinking beer.  Eating them is a mild form of torture and I've never met anyone who actually eats these when they aren't drunk.

For some reason Bandai-Namco decided to sell their baseball cards with bags of pure Kaki no Tane, not even mixed up with peanuts to dull their horrid effect.  Gag.  

So I've decided not to buy any of these for my kids, and won't be buying any more for myself either, which is kind of a shame as, like I said, the cards themselves (and the packages) are kind of neat.  There is another grocery store I can hit up for Calbee Series 2 and I think I'll stick with that, for all the complaints I have about Calbee at least the chips are edible and my kids like them.  

11 comments:

  1. Well, you've piqued my interest. As unpleasant as it sounds, I want to try some kaki no tane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Kaki no Tani. My favorite snack….i buy them all the time while living here in Japan…..but I do get why people don’t like them too. I’ll have to look in the store for these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll admit my own opinion of them is not be shared by all. I can eat them in small quantities when mixed with peanuts, when I'm drinking beer, and when nothing else is available. Otherwise these just aren't for me and the idea of trying to complete a set of these bag by bag - which would involve eating a massive volume of these things - would be an absolute nightmare!

      Delete
  3. Lol. I love these. My family calls them "arare" or "chili bits". I will say that they leave your breath smelling funky.

    P.S. The card is cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have an effect on one's breathe for sure!

      Delete
  4. I've been waiting for these to come out since they were announced back about three months ago. Like you, I'm not much for caricature cards but I like how these look. I was hoping to get a complete set but the cards are going for more than I really want to pay. I'll probably settle for getting some of my favorite players like Tetsuto Yamada, Yuki Yanagita and Masato Morishita. I think it's kind of weird that there's no Roki Sasaki or Munetaka Murakami cards - I wonder if there's going to be a second series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the cards are neat enough, but you can expect to pay a fair amount for them. They retail at 168 Yen per bag (with just one card) and nobody is buying them for the kake no tane (which can be bought in bulk dirt cheap). The price per card works out to more than triple what a Calbee card would cost.

      I've seen singles on Yahoo Auctions but none are listed for under 180 Yen each right now.

      Delete
  5. They certainly don't sound very appetizing, and not being one that's curious about trying different foods, I'm happy to know that I'll never have to eat any of these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I picked up 25-30 of these bags. They are pretty neat…but the snacks are on the bland side without the peanuts in them. Deforume is an artistic style similar to caricature. It appears the gold foil cards are harder to get than others. I pulled a Sekine, Nakamura, and Mannami(rare gold foil). The rarity is denoted on the back. Pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man I hate those snacks, ha. At least they aren't the ume flavored ones. Blegh. I like the cards myself, wish they were just cardboard instead of plastic though. 'Deforme' refers to the style they are drawn in. It generally refers to the style of having a big head and a little body. I think you could also say they are 'chibi' style.

    ReplyDelete