Sunday, August 1, 2021

I completed a set and its forced me to deal with a storage nightmare

 


I made an exciting purchase over the weekend - the 1978 Yamakatsu Isao Shibata!

This is exciting because it is the last card that I needed to complete that set.  I've been stuck on just needing Shibata for 3 or 4 years now after putting almost all of the set together from a couple lots I bought back in 2017 or 2018.  

I think the Shibata card might have been short printed because my friend and fellow 1978 Yamakatsu collector Jay was also stuck on just needing his card for a long time too.  And like I said it took me several years of searching to finally land my own.

Now that I have the Shibata I have a strange problem.  I can't find the rest of my 1978 set!

Its a small set (42 cards) and I don't have them in a binder.  They got put into a box with other random cards which then got mixed up with other boxes filled with random cards and then squirrelled away somewhere in the impenetrable labyrinth of boxes organized according to no known principles of geometry that constitutes my storage system. 

Basically its somewhere in here:


This is a problem I have with several sets that are kind of on the "back burner".  With my 1975-76-77 Calbee set I know exactly where it is because its an active collecting project.  But with other sets that have fallen to the wayside as collecting projects over the years.....I know that I still have them somewhere in my house but have no idea where.  The 1978 Yamakatsu set fell into that category since I got so frustrated with trying to find that Shibata I just stopped paying attention to where the set was because I never had the need to add anything to it for such a long time!  And now that I've suddenly landed a Shibata its the only card from the set I currently know the location of!

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing the set and I hope you find the rest of it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there before. I have a cubby that holds most of my set builds, but there are a few that aren't in there that I can't seem to find. Anyways... hope you find the rest of the set soon. In the meantime, congratulations on adding the final card to your collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like that too, I have a shelf in the closet that houses most of my sets, but not all. Everything else is scattered around in random boxes here and there. On the plus side I at least am confident that I still have the set even though I don't know where it is, so it isn't truly lost :)

      Delete
  3. Man, I hope you find the rest of the set soon. Keep us posted. And maybe get the kids involved in the search. You can tell them it's a "game".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Actually though the last thing I want to be doing is getting a 3 and 6 year old (whose fingers are almost constantly covered in mess and who also like to throw things around) involved in searching boxes full of raw vintage baseball cards!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on the completed set, Sean! As for that last card, obviously I'm not familiar with the player, but the photo sure is great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope all your sets come together. Totally know how you feel knowing you have something and can’t find it.

    ReplyDelete