Tuesday, August 8, 2023

2020s Junk Wax is Awesome



I made an interesting discovery the other day. I can buy unopened 12 card packs of this year’s Epoch baseball set for just 60 cents each.

This discovery was prompted by Calbee being MIA from store shelves for the past couple of months, which has forced me to look for other options for my contemporary baseball card collecting needs. I saw Dave’s post about the 2023 Epoch set and I thought the design looked pretty decent, as did the checklist,  so I started browsing Yahoo Auctions.

The set is sold in 24 pack boxes with 12 cards each which seem to sell for about 10,000 to 12,000 Yen each or so (70 to 90 bucks).

But there is a cheaper way, which seems to exist due to Epoch’s highly predictable  rate of seeding of the valuable autographed chase cards in boxes.

It seems they put one such card per box. So when box breakers open a pack containing one, they can deduce that the remaining packs in the box they took it from don’t have any and are thus of no interest to them. 

To get rid of these “stale” packs, they fill empty boxes with the standard 24 packs and sell them dirt cheap. I bought a box of them for just 2000 Yen, which works out to about 60 cents per pack. Other than the fact that your odds of getting a high value auto are pretty much nil, it’s indistinguishable from a regular box. Since I’m mainly interested in collecting these with my kids for fun these are just perfect.

They arrived in the mail today and I’m quite happy with them. My kids and I opened one pack each today and saved the rest for later. It was a lot of fun, opening 12 card packs provides for a more engaging experience than Calbee’s two card packs, though with the lack of chips being a notable drawback. 

We got some decent cards, including Yuki Okabayashi who is a favorite in our house. I noted with interest that the packs contain one card from each team which was neat. We also got two silver parallel cards so while we might not get any autos there is still something shiny for the kids to chase in them.


The bottom of the boxes are pretty cool too, with a 12 card panel of mini versions of the cards (though these are blank backed).

I’m not sure if this sort of thing is normal in the US and I’m just totally out of date and marveling at some hobby phenomena that’s existed for years, but being able to get these so cheap just really shocked me. This set is brand new - it was only released a few weeks ago - but I can already buy packs of it for almost nothing. It strikes me as being insanely wasteful, but I’m not complaining. 

I’ve already got another box of these ordered and on the way. Calbee better get its act together or I might switch my collecting habits altogether. Another big problem I have with Calbee - in addition to it just not being available for sale right now - is their limited checklist. This year they’ll only have 10 regular cards per team, not even enough to cover half a roster. Many of our favorite Dragons players just don’t have Calbee cards this year, but Epoch’s 36 cards per team means they get about everyone plus a lot of the 2 Gun guys.

This kind of makes me wonder who would ever buy a pack of these in stores? If the hitless packs are so easily separable, buying these in anything but full, sealed boxes can’t make much sense from the perspective of people hunting the auto cards. You’d think Epoch would be a bit more careful to avoid that happening, though I kind of hope this is a problem they don’t fix.




12 comments:

  1. That's an awesome way to get cheap cards!

    The USA has no equivalent; hit cards are truly randomly inserted. If I could get 12 card packs for 60 cents I would actually try to collect the sets - as it is I haven't bought a pack since 2019.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I haven’t paid 60 cents for a pack of the current year’s cards in over 30 years, its really nice being able to put a set together pack by pack without paying through the nose.

      Bummer that there is no equivalent to this in the US.

      Delete
  2. Nice! I think the predicability of the autographs has influenced the complete set price. I remember paying something like 7000 yen for the set in both 2018 and 2019 but the price has been dropping ever since. I only paid 3000 yen for the set this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I didn’t know the set prices came down so much but yeah, that makes sense. The guy I bought these from said that they were putting the cards from the packs that they did open into sets and I guess they would be selling them cheap. Some sellers have team sets of 36 cards for 400 Yen, which is quite cheap.

      I’ve also found some incredible deals on BBM packs, so they must have the same issue. I just bought a whole box full of the 2022 BBM Dragons packs set for just 700 Yen, which is something like 35 Yen (25 cents) per pack (MSRP was 400 Yen per pack). The guy selling those has boxes of dozens of BBM sets for the same price, with the proviso that they came from boxes where the “hit” card had already been found.

      Delete
    2. Oh hold the phone, just found the complete 444 card set for just 1100 Yen BIN on YJA; https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r1102010197

      That is just insane…

      Delete
    3. Oh man. I took my son to BITS last year and the cheapest current Dragons team set I could find for him was the Epoch one for 1200 Yen, which I bought.

      Store prices and Yahoo Auction prices seem to be pretty far apart, but seeing the wholle set for 1100 Yen is kind of crazy. I’m having to restrain myself from buying it by reminding myself that its the fun of building the set that is the key. Its very tempting though….

      Delete
  3. Oh, and I noticed an odd quirk with the box - the front of the box uses the same player photos as the mini-cards on the back of the box (i.e. it's the same 12 guys on the front as on the back) EXCEPT Hiroto Takahashi. Makes me wonder if they had originally planned on using the photo from the front on his card and then changed his mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your attention to details like that always impresses me, I hadn’t noticed. We’re big Takahashi fans in our house, he grew up near where we live.

      Delete
  4. Awesome! I'd be all over these "stale" boxes. I like that they advertise them and price them as such... so the buyer understands they aren't likely to pull a "hit".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the level of honesty is quite impressive. My memories of dealers in North America suggest that quite a few of them (not all, but quite a few) would have just tried to sell them as normal packs at full price.

      Delete
  5. BBM has the same problem. Loose packs have been searched and are super cheap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have noticed that with BBM packs too, I’ve been buying some bulk lots of team set packs just for something fun to open with my kids. Looks like I can get hitless 20 pack lots of the regular set for 3 to 4 thousand Yen, about half what an unopened box goes for, though they seem a bit less common than the Epoch ones.

      Delete