Sunday, May 15, 2022

Best Card Collecting Week Ever

 

Being the father of two young kids has meant that most of my collecting since they were born has been done at night after they go to bed.  A little over a week ago I was going through my 1975-76-77 Calbee monster set one night in the living room after getting the kids to bed when my son came down to get a drink of water.  He came over and seemed really interested in my cards, asking me a lot of questions about them.  We have watched a couple of games on TV together and played catch at the park a few times so he is starting to get interested in baseball for the first time this year.  I asked him if he wanted to start a baseball card collection and he got very excited.  I gave him his drink of water, sent him back to bed, then started planning how to make that work.  

I decided that the best way to go about it was to get some bags of this year`s Calbee baseball chips, even though I had just posted on here less than two weeks ago that I was giving them up.  So I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from work the next day and picked up three bags (one for my son, one for his little sister and one for me).  

I arrived home, asked `Who wants to start a baseball card collection?` and got an extremely enthusiastic response from both kids.  We sat down on the carpet, opened the three bags up and two new collectors were initiated into the world of baseball cards.  

Its a lot of fun getting your kids into baseball cards.  They liked them so much that every day for the past week they`ve asked me to get more and every day I`ve been happy to oblige.  
They have built up a nice little pile, so I got them an album to put them in and printed out a checklist from Calbee`s website which they eagerly check each time they open a new pack. 
We`ve been eating a lot of chips this week.  Since I had a pile of 1991 OPC Premier that I wasn`t doing much with I also gave those to them.  My son and I sat down and marked the checklist card with each one we had (all but 3 to complete the set) which was fun too, but the Calbees are getting a lot more traction since we can see the players on them on TV while we watch games.

Its really fun collecting with kids. I imagine in a while they`ll move on to other interests, as kids always do, but I`m going to enjoy it while it lasts. Hopefully we`ll be able to put the set together bag by bag as the season progresses, something I haven`t ever been able to do.  The old fashioned way is the best way.  

8 comments:

  1. Hope both kids embrace this new hobby and become lifelong collectors. If not... at least you had this moment, which is still really, really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope they do too. Fortunately I'm catching them at a good age to implant some nostalgic memories of really liking baseball cards in their early childhood. So even if they move on to other things I think they'll probably be drawn back to cards when they are grown up. Kind of like what happened with me actually......

      Delete
  2. This is so cool. Neither of my kids were interested in baseball cards much. My oldest had a small collection of cards but my younger daughter was never into it. It probably didn't help that I usually buy complete sets rather than build sets from packs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah, I think complete sets would be a buzz kill for kids. Its opening the packs and slowly amassing more and more that is getting mine excited. What is especially getting them (more my oldest, but also the younger one) interested is the "Lucky Card" chase. If you get a lucky card for series 1 Calbee this year you can send it in for one of those little albums. There is a picture of the album on the chip bags and right now obtaining one of those albums is my children's quest for the holy grail. Its all they talk about, they want one so badly. And when one of them hits a lucky card I know my house is going to explode with kids bouncing off the walls with excitement.

      I don't have the heart to tell them that I've got like a dozen of those albums that I don't care about sitting in a box in the closet somewhere. I want them to enjoy this for as long as they can. Its even got me excited about the prospect of getting a lucky card.

      Delete
  3. I thought you were going to say something about getting one of those regional Calbees, or some cool old menkos. But this is way better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, this is a different category of collecting altogether!

      Delete
  4. I don't have kids, and know very little about today's kids, but maybe they will stick around -- or at least one of them will. Or maybe they'll lose interest in baseball cards, but find interest in some other kind of cards? Either way, it doesn't sound like you're pressuring them into this, so I would have to think that that would be good in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not pressuring kids into a hobby is I think the key.  If they like it, they like it. If they don't like it, you can't make them like it. I think its possible they will move on to other types of cards, there are a bunch of card games that Japanese kids are into these days (which I can't understand at all but its cool if they like them).

      Delete