Thursday, March 7, 2024

Mystery Kids

 

I’ve been focusing a bit of my recent collecting attention on the 1975-76-77 monster Calbee set’s slightly smaller but equally appealing older cousin, the 1974-75 Calbee set. I’ll devote a more elaborate post to it at a later date, but I thought I’d do a post about card #754 from it which I picked up a few days ago.

It features a scene from the opening day game between the Giants and Whales played on April 5, 1975. What I love about the card is that the pitcher and catcher are both Elementary School kids. According to the card back, the two kids were chosen to throw out the first pitch. This is pretty common at games, but rare to see on a regular baseball card.


What I find really intriguing s the question of who those kids are and if they ever knew that they appeared on a baseball card. The card itself doesn’t name them or their school and I don’t know if anyone would have told them. The Calbee photographer might have just been snapping photos all day and weeks later some guy at Calbee might have just grabbed this one to make a card out of, not knowing who the kids were.

Or maybe they were told right away that they would be on a card, who knows? 

If its the former though….man, I couldn’t imagine anything more exciting than being a ten year old who got to be on a baseball card. To have done that and never known about it is  just…..hard to get your head around.

Those kids must be about 60 years old now, I’m deeply curious about who they are and whether they know that half a century ago they made it onto a baseball card.

8 comments:

  1. How big of a deal were Calbee cards with kids in the 70s? I imagine that if a kid turned up on an American baseball card in, like, 1955, it would have been hard for him to not have noticed. (Anymore though, word would probably never get back to them.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were definitely a thing kids collected in the 70s, but I don't think it was quite as widespread and ingrained into "kid culture" as baseball cards in the US was. Also, due to the way they were distributed one by one with bags of chips, they weren't necessarily things kids would try to collect the whole set of, unlike Topps cards in the US. So I could imagine it being more possible for a Japanese kid in the 70s to be on a Calbee card and not know about it than for an American kid to be on a Topps card and not know about it.

      Its just a possibility though, I would imagine the kids probably knew about it.

      Delete
  2. Now I'm curious who the Whales batter was. Had to be pretty exciting for the kid to not only throw from the mound but pitch to an actual professional player

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. The Giants catcher would be Tadashi Yazawa, but can't really see enough of the Whales batter to get a clue who he was.

      Delete
  3. Can you imagine if either of these kids ended up going on to play in the NPB? That'd be crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That possibility also adds to my curiosity!

      Delete
  4. That’s pretty awesome! Would be so cool to find out who they were!

    ReplyDelete