Thursday, May 11, 2023

Vintage Baseball Shampoo

 


A guy from Hiroshima was selling a few of the regionally issued cards of Carp players from the 1975-76-77 Calbee set on Yahoo Auctions the other day so I put some bids on a few (and won two of them yesterday, the set inches closer to completion).  

While perusing his stuff I noticed he had an interesting item that was getting a lot of attention: an unopened bottle of children's shampoo featuring members of the 1975 (I think) Hiroshima Carp on it.

The red characters immediately below the players say Akaheru Gundan, which means "Red Helmet Squad".  The Carp had changed their team color to red in 1973 and in the mid-70s that was a popular nickname for the team.  It helped that they were a good team too, winning the CL title in 1975 (though losing to the Braves in the Nippon Series).  I need to brush up my 1970s Carp facial recognition skills, I recognize Koji Yamamoto and Sachio Kinugasa on there but will have to go through some photos to figure out the others.

 The shampoo itself was put out by a company called Sunstar and contained 200ml of shampoo. Other than that I don't know anything about it. The lot also contained what looks like a bottle opener.

Since I'm not a Carp fan, nor a shampoo collector, I didn't bid on this. It did attract 5 bids though and sold for 1300 Yen (about 10$ US).  

Card collectors are fond of jokingly reminding each other "not to eat the gum" when we buy old wax packs of cards.  I wonder if shampoo collectors jokingly remind each other "not to wash your kid's hair with this" when they buy old bottles of children's shampoo.  

I'd like to think that they do. 

3 comments:

  1. Very cool. If I came across this at the flea market for $10, I'd buy it and at the very least... open it up and sniff it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what 48 year old shampoo smells like.....

      Delete
  2. Ten bucks seems kind of cheap. Are there not a lot of collector's for this sort of thing over there?

    ReplyDelete