Sunday, July 27, 2014

Mystery Wally Yonamine Card

 I picked up this Wally Yonamine card off of Yahoo Auctions the other day and I`m a bit confused about what it is. 

Its the only Yonamine card I have.  As you can tell from the photo it is about the size of a 1980s Calbee mini card, with a black and white photo on the front.  The back is blank except for "Kyojin 3" and a blue kanji that I`m not sure how to read.
It is printed on pretty thin cardboard and other than that I have no idea what it is.  Anybody know?

4 comments:

  1. Bromides from the 1940's and 1950's are very hard to identify and there seem to be a lot that are still not catalogued. The Giants only wore that logo on their hat in 1953, so that helps narrow it down quite a bit. I think what you've got is a Marusan bromide card from 1953 (catalogued by Gary Engel as JBR 57). Yonamine's card is a "third prize" card which would account for the printed "3" on the back. The cards are blank backed but the Kanji for the Giants looks hand written to me. Yonamine's card is described as "LHB hips up/glasses" and should be 2 1/8" x 2 3/4". The one thing that bothers me is that the description of the set says the card should have a white border. It's possible that someone cut it off - I've got a couple menko cards like that.

    Regardless of whether or not it's catalogued, it's a cool card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for that! I have to get a copy of Engel.

    It is possible that the borders on this one have been cut off, it looks a bit rough around the edges. I only paid 400 yen for it, I just kind of wanted a card of Yonamine in my collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a c1955-57 bromide, its uncatalogued. I have one with same image but my caption is on the bottom right and in black kanji. mine also has a purple 3. aloha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad to know there are others (similar at least) out there!! Aloha!

      Delete